June 30, 2022

Fire – Landowner Assistance

Landowners affected by the Indian Canyon Fire should seek assistance from the Farm Service Agency (FSA) at 605-745-5716 ext #2.  Acreage losses for individual landowners have been calculated and the FSA can assist in filing claims.  Below is a list of potential eligible programs available to producers affected by fire:

NAP (Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program) – A notice of loss needs to be filed within 15 days for grazing and hay. The grazing loss will likely be determined in October/November, after the end of the 2016 grazing period. A loss adjuster will need to inspect the hay acres.

ELAP (Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program) – An application for assistance could be completed for the following within 30 days:

  • Bales or feed lost, including purchased or produced feed
  • If you lost grazing days due to the fire, we will need your total number of livestock as of the day of the fire. At the time of application for payment, we will need further documentation including grazing days lost per pasture and head grazed per pasture.
  • Livestock death losses (may be eligible through the LIP program)

LFP (Livestock Forage Disaster Program) –Loss of grazing days on federal land. Application deadline is January 30, 2017.

  • We will need documentation from the forest service showing the loss of grazing.

ECP (Emergency Conservation Program) – Sign up period to be tentatively set at Thursday’s County Committee meeting.


      • $1,000.00 minimum cost before cost share can be earned, including material, labor, and equipment
      • The fence damaged by the fire, will need to be replaced with all new supplies
      • Boundary and cross fences are eligible, including federal and state properties
      • Cost share is not allowed if you plan on stretching up fence or repairing with used material
      • The cost share rate is 75%, not to exceed $1.28/foot
      • The fence must be built to NRCS specifications. We have copies of this available.

Debris removal

  • When you tear out fence, please keep track of hours of personal or hired labor and type of equipment and equipment hours (to pull out, roll up, and haul away)

Conservation Structures

  • Fire damaged water tanks, wells, solar panels, etc.

Site inspection will need to be completed prior to starting the ECP projects and after completion.


Skip to content